Lilypie

Monday, January 26, 2009

Farewell First Trimester

Today is the last day of my first trimester, and I wish I could say that I'm feeling better but I'm not. I'm still nauseated in the mornings, but I do start to feel much better in the afternoons. I definitely feel the "baby bump" under all my excess padding and it is not as comfortable to lie down or sit in certain positions anymore. I also still sleep a lot, but not through the night undisturbed. On the bright side, I lost 6 lbs in the first trimester, so that's something.

I have to say, so far I don't like being pregnant. It's been a very difficult and trying first trimester and I've had more than my share of bad days. I was expecting discomfort and exhaustion and some nausea, but nothing like I've actually had. The only thing getting me through is thinking about the baby I will have as a result, and the only cure for the really bad days is browsing an aisle of adorable onesies. I also know that I don't have to love every minute of pregnancy to be a good mom, so I am allowing myself the time I need to be frustrated or unhappy or antisocial without letting it consume me. I really hope the second trimester is better so that I don't have to remember my pregnancy as a horrible experience. And really, I'd like to be lucky enough to do this again some day, and I'd like to go into it without a sense of doom and gloom.

4 comments:

Emily said...

you know, i haven't been nearly as sick as you, and i'm not loving being pregnant either. i wanted to be one of those annoying happy non-ill pregnant chicks, and it's just not the case.

most of the time i'm more excited about the baby than bummed about being ill, but sometimes the being bummed wins.

i hope you feel better sooon!!

Mandy & Jonathan said...

You have not had an easy go of it, thats for sure! But you are getting closer everyday, and you will have SO much material to use to guilt the little bugger, so it will all be worth it!!!!

Christy said...

Matt and I were just remembering the other day how when Jack was 6 weeks old we both swore we never wanted to go through pregnancy and having a newborn again. That's what parent-induced amnesia is for!

I'm sorry you've had such a rough trimester. Here's hoping for smooth sailing starting asap!

Sarah said...

I ditto Emily, I was really down in the beginning that I wasn't one of the "I loooooooooooooove being pregnant, whee!" preggo ladies, and I didn't even have as bad a first trimester as SHE did.

But I'm almost 21 weeks now, and aside from mood swings and hearburn, I'm liking being pregnant a LOT better then I did at the beginning. So here's hoping it gets better for you too!