Lilypie

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Weddings and Babies, Oh My!

It's been quite a weekend. Yesterday was Emily's bridal shower and, even though Mom did most of the work, I was completely exhausted by the end of the day. My whole body hurt and I was limping around like an old lady. My back is definitely hurting more these days, and my hips are starting to make loud popping sounds they didn't make before. It was a really fun party though and it was nice to get all the pregnancy questions and recaps out of the way for the family I haven't seen in a while before the baby shower. I also had my first experience with someone touching my belly uninvited, and it bothered me less than I thought it would.

The nursery furniture is being delivered on Wednesday evening, and they'll have to assemble it in the nursery even though the room isn't ready yet. We'll just cover it with a sheet so it stays clear of sawdust until the construction is finished. Joe also has a co-worker who is giving us a bunch of baby gear on Wednesday, but I don't know what any of it is. He promised me that he won't get mad if I don't want to keep any of the items because I want to pick out my own stuff, but I don't completely believe him.

Speaking of baby gear, Joe cleverly tried to distract me from nagging him about working on the nursery today by striking up a conversation about the baby. Together we made a list of all of the absolutely critical items we have to have before the baby comes, and then priced them out to get an idea of how much they'll cost. The total cost is staggering, so we're keeping our fingers crossed that we get a lot of it for shower gifts. To end the evening, we watched Laugh and Learn about Newborn Baby Care, which taught us about how and when to bathe a baby, how to swaddle, and how and when to clip fingernails and care for the umbilical cord and all that good stuff. Joe is now terrified that he will either drown or suffocate Ian, and is convinced that taking care of a baby is going to be much harder than he expected.

No comments: