Lilypie

Thursday, April 30, 2009

It's 4:30 am and I've been wide awake for over an hour. Part of this is the fault of the dogs, but mostly it's because I couldn't get comfortable. As a habitual stomach sleeper and toss-and-turner, it's very hard for me to find a comfortable spot that's not on my stomach, fall asleep, and stay that way. It doesn't help that my ligaments are going through another stretch and are painful on top of my already painful hips and back. My ankles aren't swollen anymore (for now), but they are still sore for some reason, probably due to the poor decision to wear heels the other day.

I've also had an emotional day today and am still feeling some of the after-effects by not being able to shut off my brain and sleep. I'm really bummed about the Virginia baby shower, which is going to have a low turnout of both family and friends. I'm not so much upset that people aren't coming, because I know everyone would be there if they could and everyone has a very valid reason. I think it's more that this pregnancy has bordered on misery and it's worth celebrating that the outcome will be worth it, and I feel like that celebration isn't going to get the fanfare and excitement it deserves. But maybe a baby is only really exciting to me, my Mom, my sister, and my best friends and my expectations are too high. Whatever the reason, it makes me sad, but I know we'll have fun either way.

I'm also mad at Joe who, if he complains one more time about having to give up his car, will find himself sleeping in it. I would gladly trade places with him if he could carry the baby through pregnancy, endure labor and delivery, and master breastfeeding. I think he's getting the bargain in this deal, as all he'll be temporarily giving up is a sports car whereas I gave up my body, my brain, and my sanity.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Oh man, Joe should definitely count his blessings! There were so many times I wanted to let Matt take over. They have no idea.

I'm sorry about the shower :( Those kinds of things always seem worse to me when I'm emotional or it's the middle of the night, too. I hope you're feeling a little better about it today. I'm sad I'm one of the ones who can't make it too.

You know we didn't have a shower with everything going on with Jack. We ended up having a really big first birthday party for him and I know that seems far away, but it was such a nice celebration of having him here and his first year. There'll definitely be more opportunities for parties later! You could even do a welcome baby party right after Ian is born if you want.

Anonymous said...

I second the welcome baby party idea! And I too, feel terrible that I am going to be one of the no-shows :(

Hope today brings some better thoughts and feelings!