Lilypie

Monday, April 27, 2009

I had planned to write something profound about reaching the "100 days to go" point, but the thoughts won't form fully in my brain. The bottom line is that I feel mentally ready for Ian's arrival, even though we have a long way to go before we are actually prepared. Luckily it will be a long time before Ian is mobile enough to warrant baby-proofing, as we realized within 30 minutes of having Jack in our house that we have a lot of problem areas.

We celebrated the 100-days point by working hard on the nursery and making great progress. The hardest work is done so hopefully this weekend we can actually get some moulding and bead board installed.

Ian also got tons of gifts this weekend from his Aunts Christy, Mandy, and Sam. He is going to be a very well-dressed baby, and super smart and happy after playing with all his toys. Thanks ladies!! Ian also got a gift from Jack - an original drawing that is proudly displayed on our fridge.

This morning I attempted to do my 1-hour glucose screening, but failed miserably. It's a fasting test, so I hadn't eaten anything in over 14 hours when they finally gave me the glucose to drink. The combo of no food and a sudden flood of sugar made me really nauseated, and the 1-hour wait was pretty unpleasant. I had been drinking tons of water (about 2 liters just that morning) in an attempt to make my veins cooperate, but they didn't. The lab tech stuck me 3 times and didn't get a single drop of blood after trying for 30 minutes, so we gave up. By that point it was too late to get an accurate result anyway. My doctor's office is in the same building as the lab, so I stopped in there to ask them what to do and they gave me another bottle of glucose syrup to drink before my next appointment (next Tuesday) and they'll try again then. I'm not looking forward to going through this again, and if I fail the test then I'll have to do the 3-hour version which is guaranteed to be awful, but on the bright side at least I can eat ice cream for another week guilt-free.

No comments: