This morning's ultrasound was good and bad, but mostly disappointing. First of all, I drank a huge iced caramel macchiato on the way there hoping to keep the baby awake and mobile, and they wouldn't let me go to the bathroom before the ultrasound so I was dying the whole time. I had no idea but the baby's head is actually above my belly button on my right side, and its back curves along my side with its bum and feet down by my cervix. No wonder all the motion I feel is still so low.
The doctor was able to measure the baby's head, cerebellum, kidneys, torso, heart, and femur length. We also got plenty of looks at the arms, legs, hands, and feet, and I counted 10 fingers and 10 toes. Everything that she could see looked great, and everything is tracking at 19w3d which is right where it should be. While she could clearly see the four chambers of the heart and the heartbeat, she couldn't see the ventricles in detail so that needs more exploration. The baby also had its hands in front of its mouth so she was unable to check for a cleft lip but the eyes, nose, and ears looked fine. She also couldn't get a good look at the spine, even though we saw glimpses of it and the rib cage several times. Most disappointing, of course, is that she couldn't get enough detail to tell the gender, so we'll have to wait another day for better pictures at the radiology center. I have a few pictures but they aren't worth posting they're so bad.
I really should have seen this coming. That machine is so terrible, and every time they attempt to use it they always end up sending me to radiology anyway. I was super annoyed because the doctor said that sometimes abdominal fat can make the pictures grainy, but I had an ultrasound at the radiology center 6 WEEKS ago when the baby was TINY and they still got better pictures than what we saw today. Don't blame your crappy machine on me lady!!
So, bottom line is that the baby is doing great but, because of my OB's crappy machine, we didn't get all the info we were hoping for. We'll try again tomorrow morning at 8:30 and keep our fingers crossed that they'll be able to see everything they need to see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Ha, I can't believe she tried to make excuses for her crappy machine. Whatever! She should've just sent you to the radiology center in the first place, but I guess the good news is now you get to see your adorable baby two days in a row! Thank goodness it's only one day and it's first thing tomorrow morning. I can't stand this wait, so I don't know how you're doing it.
Luckily (??) I have plenty of work to do this afternoon to distract me. I am trying to resist the urge to be angry, and also trying to resist a nap.
Important part is that all looks good so far!
(as much as the suspense is killing you!)
Leave it to Sam to be the patient realist!
Sam I totally thought of you this morning when I had a brief moment of Jackass Panic. It made me laugh to think of you laughing at me, so I explained the term to Joe and he thought I was completely nuts. =)
...at least the baby is healthy and growing fine...which is what is most important...knowing the gender is just a bonus!
Well- I am at least happy that I made you smile during a "live J-A-P".... ha.
Post a Comment