Lilypie

Saturday, March 28, 2009

The baby registries are finally complete! Joe was off doing robot things today so I went out alone with my list and filled in all the blanks. I feel good that we've got everything on there that we could possibly think of, and since there's absolutely no chance that we will have every single item we need right away (and we won't need everything right away anyway), we should be pretty well covered. There are a few really important items that keep going out of stock (ahem, crib mattress and car seat - hello!) so I might have to pick different ones if they are still unavailable when the shower invites go out.

I also stopped by Right Start on a tip from a friend since they're going out of business and are having a huge sale. They didn't have much in the store, but I did find a really cute activity mat that was more than half off so I bought it. It's not as cute as the one we are registered for, but it was cheap and our floors are dirty so overall not a bad purchase.

Grandma Ferner offered to buy Ian's crib, and it looks like Joe will definitely be staffed on a project for at least the next 6 months with no gaps, so hopefully we can order the nursery furniture very soon. At the moment, however, the nursery itself is far from ready so we've had to bribe Jon and Mandy with food and booze to act as reinforcements and motivators.

On Monday, we'll be enrolling Ian in the infant program at Ashburn Village Country Day School. I can remember that, as we were driving through Ashburn when we first moved here a few years ago, my Mom, in a rare moment of prescience, saw the building and declared that's where her future grandchildren would go to school. Turns out she was right (as usual). We really love the facility and the people we met, and the school reminds me so much of the Montessori school I went to as a kid. I think what really convinced Joe was the fact that the kids start learning computer skills and Spanish as soon as they turn 2, and what got me was the library and reading program. Not to mention the fact that the infant room is great, the teachers were so nice and doting, and the individualized attention he'll receive was immediately obvious. I feel a lot better about daycare in general after spending time there, and I think that's a really good sign. Ian will be enrolled there full-time starting in January, even though I plan to only work 3 days a week in the beginning, and it will be nice to have a place to drop him off for an hour or two on my non-work days if I want to brave Wegman's alone.

Next on the list: a pediatrician.

No comments: