Lilypie

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Good News and Maybe-Bad News

This morning's appointment was interesting. I had a different nurse than usual and she was mean and flustered at the start, so she didn't exactly put me at ease for the blood draw process. Luckily she got all the blood she needed on the first try so the lab tests were a huge success, and it's a big relief to finally be caught up on all the tests I need. We'll see next week how the results turn out, but I'll cross that bridge when the time comes.

The doctor took measurements and listened to the baby's heartbeat, which I got to hear for the first time using the doppler. It wasn't at all like I thought it would sound. Everything I've read has described it as sounding like galloping horses, but I think it sounds like I would imagine standing under a helicopter with slowly-circulating blades would sound. It's very whooshy. Ian's heart rate is normal and he is very active which are both great signs.

But of course, in keeping with the theme of this pregnancy, there is a new issue. My blood pressure suddenly spiked today after being low for several months. It's not yet in the risky range, but is borderline so the doctor wants to do a few more tests just to make sure nothing bad is going on. She added some tests to the bloodwork from today, something about liver function and something else, and I have to do a 24-hour urine collection at home and store it in a big jug in my fridge. Sounds lovely. They'll test that for proteins and some other stuff just to make sure I am not headed towards pre-eclampsia, and I have to go back next week to get my blood pressure taken again. The doctor didn't seem worried and definitely made it sound like she wanted to be on the safe side with all the tests, and I still maintain that I was nervous about the blood work and that the nurse was mean so my blood pressure was higher. We'll wait and see what happens next week and then I'll worry if need be.

4 comments:

Christy said...

Pee in your fridge? Hmm. I don't think I'll be coming over for lemonade again soon.

Yay for the blood finally getting done. Boo for the possible complications. I remember having really high blood pressure at one appointment with Jack after a harrowing time finding parking. It was fine after that and they never did any extra testing. I hope you come away with a clean bill of health!

I think the galloping horse/train chugging sound is earlier in pregnancy maybe? Or maybe it just sounds different.

Tell Joe not to drink the lemonade!

Anonymous said...

Good job on the bloodwork.

Fingers crossed on the blood pressure! I completely agree with your theory....

Lauren Kinnari said...

I'm so happy that your blood work is finally all finished! I had to do the 3 hr glucose test to see if I was insulin resistant and it was no fun....I am glad that you should be able to get around it!

Try not to worry about the blood pressure it could have just be a bad day! I suffered a mild panic attack (basically I was nervous and stressed like never before!) before my latest OB/GYN appt (technically my "pre conception visit and I was worried she would bring up the weight issue :(....) and when the nurse took my blood pressure it was extremely high and she was so worried she took it twice to check! After a very smooth and relaxing visit with the doctor my blood pressure was back to its normal reading!

Lauren Kinnari said...

Haha...that was obviously not Mark that wrote that (at least I hope he is not visiting the doctor for a preconception visit!)...I really should change the e-mail account holder info!

~Lauren