Lilypie

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Four Hours of Torture

I survived the 3-hour glucose test, but just barely. It was pretty brutal. We were at the hospital by 7:15 and didn't get out of there until 11:15. The lab tech took a fasting baseline sample and had to stick me 4 times before he found a cooperative vein, and since he had exhausted all the other possibilities, he used that same spot for each of the four remaining collections. My arm is SORE but the bruising is fading fast. They had lemon-lime glucose which was a lot worse than the orange variety. The test itself went by pretty quickly, but I'm glad Joe was there to keep me company and drive me home because I felt dizzy and awful.

My doctor should have my results by tomorrow, and I assume they'll call me if there's an issue. I am not optimistic, since the lab tech told me that there was sugar in my urine at the 1-hour point. I asked him if that was a bad sign and he said it's not a true indicator, but that ideally it should be zero every time. To prepare myself for the worst, tonight I am eating cheeseburgers, fries, and ice cream just in case I can't eat them again for several weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am sending good thoughts your way. At least the test is done and you can put it behind you.