Lilypie

Monday, June 15, 2009

Hopefully Temporary

Yesterday turned out to be a haywire kind of day. I woke up feeling nauseated and threw up my breakfast - something I haven't done in months. I also felt weak, queasy, and clammy for most of the day, but instead of resting like I should have, I spent the day running errands and cleaning the house. Around dinner time yesterday I started getting bad cramps and they kept recurring throughout the rest of the evening and most of the night. When I woke up because of a particularly painful one this morning, I decided it was time to call the doctor.

The good news is that I'm not dilated at all, but the bad news is that the cramps are registering as fairly strong contractions on the monitor. They are not increasing in intensity and are not regular in frequency, so the doctor assured me they are most likely Braxton Hicks and are nothing to worry about. Just to be safe, she ordered me to do 48 hours of bed rest and to monitor how often the contractions occur. If they don't get any worse or any more frequent in those 48 hours, then I am cleared to resume my normal activity. If they do get worse, then we'll have to move on to Plan B.

I also got a lecture about activities that are appropriate for a woman who's 8 months pregnant. Apparently steam cleaning the carpets, lifting mattresses to tuck in sheets, pushing around heavy shopping carts, and toting full laundry baskets are not on that list, but all of which are activities I did this weekend. Bed rest or no bed rest, it looks like my days as a productive pregnant woman are over. If only I could cut back my hours at work for the next 5 weeks too, that would really make things relaxing.

2 comments:

Emily said...

oh no! scary. i hope you feel good as new after your 48 hours rest, and TAKE IT EASY woman!

((hugs))

Christy said...

I hope the rest helps lots!! Baby Ian would do great I'm sure, but tell him Auntie Christy said full term is so much better!! :) (only 4 weeks til then!)