Lilypie

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Doctor's Orders

I'm at home today curled up on the couch, and I have a great excuse. I woke up this morning with some mild cramping, so called the doctor right away. She said it's probably nothing to worry about, especially since I don't have any bleeding and I'm not feeling any pressure, but she wants me to stay off my feet today and pay attention to the frequency and intensity of the cramping. If I have 4 or more noticeable cramps in an hour I am supposed to call her, but anything less frequent than that is apparently OK. She said it's probably just growing pains (stretching ligaments and uterus), and that I am at the point where those should be getting more intense and uncomfortable. She said it could also be Braxton-Hicks even though it's early to be noticing those. So, we'll wait and see, but I'm not really worried.

Too bad I have a lot of work to do today so I can't really take the day to rest and relax. I think there should be a rule that pregnant women get to take their whole pregnancy off work, and get paid for the duration. Maybe I will email President Obama - this is clearly the change we need.

UPDATE: I really think this is just normal 17-week growing pains. The cramping doesn't happen often (maybe once every 2 hours at the most) and doesn't last long (90 seconds), but is definitely uncomfortable. I've been doing a lot of research today and there are lots of articles and sites about the discomfort and cramp-like pains around this point in pregnancy, and they seem to be totally normal and attributable to a growing uterus. I also just felt the first kick as I was writing this, and it kind of hurt!!

No comments: