Lilypie

Monday, July 13, 2009

Whirlwind

Every day something new happens, and I feel like I'm on a never-ending roller coaster ride. At today's appointment my BP was very high again but had come down some by the end. Luckily Joe was with me so he got to see first-hand what I've been dealing with all this time. The doctor convinced us that, once we reach full-term and check the baby's development, there's no reason to risk any adverse changes in my health so we moved the delivery up yet again.

Because my BP didn't go down as much as she wanted it to, she sent us to the hospital for more labs and monitoring. I was hooked up to a BP machine that took a reading every 10 minutes, and after about half an hour it had gone down to a completely normal rate. They also monitored the baby's heartbeat, which was normal, and took more blood and urine. I had a sonogram too, and they estimate the baby's weight at 6lbs 10oz, which the doctor assured me is good although not that accurate.

So, we're now scheduled for a c-section on Thursday. I have to go back to my OB for a quick BP check on Wednesday and, if anything is elevated or troublesome, we'll be going back to the hospital again and it's possible they may do the c-section on Wednesday. Otherwise, I have to go to the hospital anyway for my pre-op consult on Wednesday afternoon. They told us to expect to stay in the hospital until Monday (Sunday at the earliest if everything is going great), so by this time next week we'll hopefully be home with the baby and adjusting to our new life as parents.

5 comments:

Christy said...

Thursday!!! Wow, that is so exciting. You're full term and Ian sounds like he's doing great. I can't wait to meet him!

As far as I know, I'll be off bedrest next Tuesday AND we still have the baby sitter here every morning next week. Maybe I can sneak in a visit if you all are up to it :)

Unknown said...

Wow, you're off bedrest that soon!?! Do you think the baby will come quickly after, like Jack did?? That would be so exciting if our kids end up being born so close together.

I'm sure we can manage a quick visit. I'll let you know once we get settled at home.

Anonymous said...

Crazy! I'll be thinking good thoughts for you all week! I'll say that even though my section was unexpected and coupled with labor and doom, I'm very grateful for the extra few days in the hospital, both for recovery and breastfeeding help. Good luck and ahhhhhhhhh how exciting you get to meet him this week!!!

Christy said...

That's the million dollar question! I'm starting to get anxious about it, a feeling I bet you totally feel these days too. I'm still on the butt shots this week and next. They say labor usually starts 10-14 days after the last shot but you never know.

Unknown said...

Thanks Sarah! I have to say, I definitely had your experience in mind when I made my delivery decision, but since you seem to have sailed through recovery and are doing fantastic now, I am using you to give me hope that it won't be as bad as I think.

Christy, you are full-term in 2 weeks right? So you could actually have an extra week after that before the baby comes. That would be great! And you're almost past the point where Jack was born, so that's fantastic. Do your doctors think you will go into labor naturally this time, or do you think they'll induce you again?