Everything is going to start happening really quickly now, so we'd better brace ourselves. At my appointment today, the doctor says that all my labs revealed that I don't have pre-eclampsia (big surprise), but I do have gestational hypertension. This is not something they like to let go too long, so the doctor and I discussed moving my scheduled induction up to between 37 and 38 weeks. Since 37 weeks is Tuesday and that's REALLY soon, we're leaning towards the week of July 20th.
Now all we have to decide is whether to induce or schedule a c-section. There are a lot of factors working against me for an induction - my cervix is "unfavorable" because it's very long, high, and closed, and I have a rounded pelvic bone making the pelvic opening for the baby to pass through very narrow. These conditions, coupled with my tendency for anxiety and hypertension, increases my chances of failed induction ending in a c-section by 20%. The doctor also said I should prepare myself for 2 full days of labor with an induction, plus we'd have to go to the hospital a day early for a cervix softener. Given all this information, I am leaning very heavily towards a c-section, but still have to convince Joe that this is the best option.
I have a sonogram on Monday afternoon to estimate the baby's weight and do the final check that everything is ok, and right before that happens I have another checkup with my OB, at which point I have to let her know our decision. We're then at the mercy of the hospital's availability, so we'll find out the scheduled date hopefully Monday. I'll have one more appointment with my OB before delivery, and hopefully one more weekend to spend with Joe before we are no longer a family of 2.
It would be great if I could just stop working entirely right now, but there are a few more things I need to tie up before that can happen. I think my maternity leave is officially going to start on July 16th (the first day of the next pay period) so I'll still have a few days to relax before the baby comes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
oh my goodness alison! that's a lot to deal with in the last few weeks of pregnancy. good luck with everything!
Oh wow, here comes Ian!!! So exciting. And I'm so glad you'll make it to 37 weeks. You're doing great, Mama!
Oh, and I guess bedrest is still important for your blood pressure, right? It's too bad you can't walk a lot to try to get that cervix to get a move on. There's always sex too...
I don't know if I'd pick induction or c-section, but (just my opinion) this one is YOUR decision entirely (not even Joe's, sorry Daddy). Maybe your cervix will start to efface/dilate before then - you can always hope!
I am kind of on fake bed rest, and walking is totally allowed. I am supposed to be reducing sources of stress, which is basically impossible with a high-risk pregnancy and the impending arrival of a baby, not to mention this looming decision that feels very daunting.
I am really leaning towards c-section, and Joe has come around and said he supports whatever I decide. While a scheduled c-sections feels very mechanical and like the easy way out, it's probably the safest and lowest risk option and will lead to a healthy baby in the end, which is all that matters.
I think that after you tried the hard way out, you'd be glad for the easy way out! I won't lie to you: they give you some very good drugs.
It can get so overwhelming toward the end! I remember they were very sanguine about everything at the doc's office until I went to 43 weeks, and then they suddenly started treating me like I was a bomb that needed defusing. It was scary.
Ahh! Good luck! I will say that if I had to choose between a planned c-section and one where there's days of labor that could end in a section anyway, I'd probably opt to plan one, because the recovery is worse if you're exhausted from laboring, believe me. Thinking good thoughts for you all!!
Sarah, I've heard that same advice from so many women who went through a similar experience to yours. Since my induction would be very chemical and intervention-y since my body isn't at all ready for labor, I feel like a c-section makes the most sense for my body. I've given up on the idea that I need to have a "birth experience" and am focused on getting the baby out safely and with the least risk to me. I am only nervous about the recovery with a c-section ... as in, how difficult will it really be to get myself out of bed in the middle of the night without help??
Alison, they tell you to ring for help while you're in the hospital, and at home, I used to do the same thing I did when I threw my back out. Roll to the side with your knees bent, and use your hands to push yourself into a sitting position. Then stand up using your leg muscles. After that, you're usually golden. I felt some weakness in my abs for a long time after that, and isometrics helped. I noticed I couldn't really roll over in bed without sitting up and pivoting, which you can imagine makes for a really restless night's sleep. But just doing the Pilates thing where you pull your stomach in to your backbone and hold it for as long as you can (you must still breathe) fixed that and my back pain. And I wasn't in particularly good shape before, so this isn't like already-healthy-woman advice.
Other than that, Lauren told me to get out of bed ASAP after the surgery, and she was totally right. The sooner you can get moving, the better. Make a point of taking a walk around the hospital every day, as soon as your catheter is out, and take the pain medication on schedule whether you feel pain or not. I was about 80% by the time I got home, totally able to take care of myself and do housework. Gotta watch out for the belly laugh, is all.
Post a Comment