Lilypie

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

We're headed to the doctor for Ian's first unplanned visit. He hasn't been pooping, and he's got a ton of really stinky gas that seems to make him really uncomfortable for an hour or so after he eats. He falls asleep after fussing for a little while and is content for several hours so it's probably not a big deal, but is worth getting checked out.

I am nervous because his appointment falls right in prime feeding time, and we're still too awkward with our breastfeeding routine to do it anytime anywhere. He just fell asleep about an hour ago and would usually sleep for another hour or two contentedly, so I hate to wake him and force him to eat before he's ready, especially because he's really bad at sucking when he's sleepy, but I also don't want to end up with a starving screaming baby at the doctor's office. I have a stock of pumped milk in the fridge so I might just pump before we go, wake him when it's time to leave, and take a bottle with me in case he gets fussy. I am going to have to figure out how to feed on-the-go eventually so might as well get some practice today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to use those little divided containers to carry powdered formula with me when we were out, and I'd have a sealed bottle of water in my diaper bag so I could mix a bottle on short notice. You can buy the formula in single serving packs, but it's a LOT more expensive. I never liked breastfeeding in public; what I had with me was usually enough to tide him over until we got home or somewhere private.

Don't worry about having to nurse at the doctor's office. They are usually very good about that sort of thing. Mine would encourage me to stay and sit if I wanted to nurse. It helps if the office is very bf-positive (and doesn't need that room right away).

Poor Ian! I hope he's feeling better now.

Unknown said...

We've been doing so well with pumping to bottles lately, and his latch and sucking are improving but very slowly. I would continue pumping to bottles if I didn't feel like that severely limits my ability to get out of the house. I am NOT going to tote that pump around with me everywhere I go, and if I'm not comfortable nursing in public then there's no way I'd pump in public.

Maybe eventually we'll get the hang of nursing so well that it won't be an issue (it's not so much the modesty of nursing in public that bothers me, it's the comfort and positioning and logistics), but that feels like light years away right now.