Poor Ian. Just as we were starting to get the hang of breastfeeding, he stopped pooping. His little tummy got so hard and distended and he was straining and crying trying to make something happen. After a few days I took him to the doctor and they recommended Karo syrup twice a day to get things moving, and it took several days before we saw any results. Meanwhile, I had to put him back on bottles so I could monitor his milk intake - he is just not getting enough from me when he nurses because he doesn't have suction strong enough quite yet. Luckily I am able to do most of his feedings with pumped breast milk, but he does still get some formula every day.
I really like being able to know that he is eating enough. It makes me feel so much less anxious to know that he's eating well and getting everything he needs. I still hate pumping with a passion, and I am lazier with it than I should be to build up my milk supply, so I'm not sure how much longer we'll last with that. I do really enjoy the time Ian and I spend together when he's nursing, even though it takes a really long time and he still doesn't get enough milk, and I would hate to give that up just yet. I also feel like I'd be a lot more likely to leave the house more often if I know that I can just mix up a bottle of formula on demand for feedings and he'll be ok. Right now we can't really nurse in public because the nipple shield makes things awkward and it takes him over an hour to nurse and he still has to supplement with a bottle afterwards, plus I always have to guess how much supplement he needs and he usually ends up spitting up more that way (all over his clothes and mine of course).
So, our breastfeeding journey may be coming to a close, but at least now I feel like we really did give it our best shot. If bottle feeding is what leads to a happier baby and a more relaxed Mom then that's what best for everyone, but I need a little more time to make sure that's the right choice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
you gave it a really good shot, plus he got all that good stuff in the beginning!
there is nothing wrong with bottle feeding. do whatever makes your life easiest....one of my GFs who works full time has to pump at work like every 3 hours in a dusty, icky room and it is a nightmare for her....she is about to call it quits...ha I would have a LONG time ago.
Ian getting the right nutrition is the most important thing.
Post a Comment