Lilypie

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Postpartum

I haven't posted here in a long time (most of the interesting stuff is over on the family blog now) but I feel like I need to reflect a bit now that I've settled into my new life as a Mom.

I've written about my birth experience and the challenges of the first few weeks. It's been 7 weeks today, my blood pressure is completely normal again, and my OB gave me the OK to resume my normal activities. Not that anything has gone back to "normal." I can't really even remember what my life was like before I was pregnant, let alone before Ian was born. So much has changed in such a short time, and it's all so much better than before, except my sleeping habits.

Looking back on pregnancy, all I can really say to sum it up is that it was hard. Much harder than I expected, in fact. The usual symptoms that I expected - mood swings, back pain, cravings - were all more manageable than the symptoms I didn't expect, like the constant headaches, complete and total exhaustion, and inability to focus. And then there was the puking, but let's not revisit that. I am also very thankful for tingly cooling leg cream - it made pregnant life bearable.

As challenging as pregnancy was for me, it was all 100% undoubtedly worth it, and I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. My sweet little boy gives me more happiness than I ever thought possible, and it's amazing to me how quickly my priorities have shifted now that he's here. We have so many great things to look forward to as his parents, and someday we hope to be lucky enough to do it all over again, but this time with hopefully less puking.

No comments: